Simon is committed to applying sustainable, efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally responsible methods to reduce our impact on the environment. How we manage energy, water, and waste plays a key role in achieving our business and sustainability goals. Our efforts to reduce energy and water usage and the waste sent to landfills support our commitment to the communities we serve, our stakeholders, and our employees.
Science Based Targets
* Reduced our direct energy consumption by 31.27%
* Reduced our carbon footprint by 65.05%
* Committed to reducing absolute Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 68% by 2035, from a 2019 baseline
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a joint initiative by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), the United Nations Global Compact, the World Resources Institute, and the WWF.
We will work to meet or exceed the following environmental management goals:
- Reduce Carbon emissions associate with Simon’s energy consumption by 68% (baseline 2019) and by 20.9% for emissions associated with tenant energy consumption by 2035 (baseline 2018).
- Reduce water consumption by 15% by 2030 (base year 2022).
- Increase recycling rates across our portfolio with the aim of minimizing waste sent to landfills.
- Incorporate sustainable development guidelines in all new developments and redevelopments.
- Increase the number of green building certifications annually.